If your Samsung washing machine shakes, thumps and bumps, and makes loud irritating noises during the spin cycle, it’s probably out of balance. Depending on the model, you might also see an E4, UB, or UE error code that signals an unbalanced load. It’s a common issue that you can usually solve by following a few simple steps.
When your Samsung washer drum is off-balance, it could be due to a floor or washer that is not level, unbalanced load, damaged suspension springs/shock absorbers, or other damaged parts. Some of these problems you can solve yourself; others require professional assistance.
In this article, I’ll cover each of these issues and provide a step-by-step guide on how to quickly identify the root cause of the problem and successfully fix it. Keep reading to see how you can balance the drum of your Samsung washer without professional help.
1. The Floor Isn’t Level
For your washer drum to be balanced and spin properly, the washing machine has to stand firmly on a flat surface and be calibrated accordingly. However, calibrating won’t help if the surface itself isn’t level. So, it would be best to make sure the floor is level in the first place.
How To Fix
Use a bubble level to perform the following steps:
- Move your washing machine so you can stand on the spot where the washer normally stands.
- Take a bubble level and place it in the center of the spot so the bubble rests at the top.
- Make sure the part of the bubble level touching the floor touches the floor entirely.
- Look at the bubble. If it’s between the two vertical lines, it means the floor is level. If it leans to the side and goes beyond one of the vertical lines, that means the floor has a slope.
I recommend the SIZIKJXGHWYI 6Pcs Bubble Spirit Levels 32x7mm (available on Amazon.com). Aside from washers, they can also help level RVs, tripods, turntables, etc., so you don’t have to worry about them only being useful for one purpose.
If you find the floor isn’t level, consider moving your washing machine to stand on a flatter or more even surface. If moving to a different area doesn’t solve the issue, move to the next step.
2. The Washer Isn’t Level
A common cause of an off-balance Samsung washing machine is that the washer itself isn’t level. Your washer’s four leveling feet must stand firmly on the floor.
How To Fix
To fix a washer that isn’t level:
- Check if your washer is level using the same bubble level in the last step.
- Measure its four feet separately to ensure they’re the same length as each other.
- Adjust the leveling feet, starting with the lowest one. Depending on the model of your washer, you might need a spanner to unfasten the locking nut on the feet. Once they’re removed, turn the feet in or out until they’re the right length and put the locker nut back in place using the same spanner.
If you’re not sure how to go about this, you can find instructions with pictures on how to adjust the legs here or in the manual that goes with the washer.
After adjusting your washing machine, place it in the position you want and run calibration. To run calibration, hold the Temp and Delay End + buttons together until you see the CB code appear. This process usually takes up to three minutes.
You can find detailed instructions on running calibration on your Samsung washer here.
3. The Load Isn’t Balanced
An unbalanced load can cause your Samsung washing machine to not spin properly or stop spinning entirely.
How To Fix
You can quickly fix this issue by evenly redistributing clothes and following a few simple rules while preparing your laundry load. That said, it’s still possible to load the washer correctly and experience the off-balance issue.
How To Load the Washer
Make sure the amount of clothing in the load is proportionate to the drum size. Don’t pack too much of your laundry too tightly, as an overload might damage the drum and cause it to go out of balance. Instead, leave enough room for the water to flow and wash your clothing and space for the clothes to spin.
Also, avoid washing heavy items like rugs or denim, as doing so will cause your washer to go out of balance. If you must do this, you can add two to three towels (or similar items) to the load so the drum can evenly distribute the weight. Also, make sure not to wash large bedding items with smaller items like socks and underwear.
What To Do if You’ve Loaded the Washer Correctly, but It Still Makes Noise
If you’ve loaded your washing machine according to the steps above and still hear the thumping noise, follow the steps below.
- Stop the cycle, open the door of the washer, and check how the clothes are distributed.
- If you see the items bunched together on one side of the wash, redistribute the clothes so the weight is evenly balanced throughout.
- Unfold bigger items if they’re crumpled tightly. Make sure you don’t see anything wrapped around the agitator or caught in the drum.
- Once you’re finished rearranging the clothes in the drum, check if there’s enough room left for the washer to spin.
- Start the cycle again.
4. The Suspension Springs/Shock Absorbers Are Damaged
If none of the previous solutions worked for you, the problem may lie inside your washer. Specifically, the parts that control the balance of the drum in your washer are suspension springs (if it’s a top load) or absorber shocks (if it’s a front load). After a certain period, these parts can go bad, and your washer will naturally become unbalanced.
How To Fix
Luckily, it’s easy to find replacements for suspension springs and shock absorbers online, and installation of the new parts usually takes 10 minutes give or take.
Here’s a short YouTube video that shows every step you should take to change the springs of a Samsung top washer:
Here’s a YouTube video tutorial on how you can change the shock absorbers yourself:
If you notice that your Samsung washer drum is off-balance, you should know it’s a common issue you can easily solve at home, especially if your washing machine is relatively new. However, if the washer has served you for some time, it might require significant repair.
If none of the DIY tips on fixing your Samsung washer helped, don’t hesitate to contact Samsung technical support to help you out.