If you have an Electrolux dryer, you probably love how reliable and hard-working it is. Like other appliances, Electrolux dryers can occasionally display error codes. If your dryer is displaying error code E61, what does it mean, and what should you do?
Error code E61 on an Electrolux dryer means that there’s an issue with the wire harness. In rare cases, it could indicate a problem with the electronic control board. In both instances, it’s easier to replace the faulty parts than to repair them.
In this article, I’ll provide an in-depth explanation of this error code and discuss what you should do when it displays on your Electrolux dryer. Let’s dive right in!
The Wire Harness Is Faulty
If your Electrolux dryer displays error code E61, the most common cause is a faulty wire harness. The wiring harness is responsible for ensuring that there’s sufficient electrical current for all the dryer’s parts. When this part is damaged or worn out, your dryer won’t operate efficiently, and your clothes will likely be wet or take ages to dry.
How to Fix
It can be very difficult to repair a dryer’s wire harness, and it’s often not worth the time and effort. The best fix is to replace the part.
Thankfully, these parts are relatively inexpensive, and you can buy them online or from an appliance spare parts store. Just ensure that you have your dryer’s model name and number before buying the new part.
You can replace your Electrolux dryer’s wire harness by following the steps below:
- Unplug your dryer from the power source to prevent electrocution.
- Remove the front panel of your dryer with a screwdriver to access the control panel.
- Find the wire harness, which is a bundle of multicolored wires attached to a clear plastic connector.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to detach the harness from the connector.
- Insert the replacement harness and reattach the harness unit to your dryer.
- Reassemble the front access panel of your dryer.
- Plug the dryer back in and run a small load of laundry to test the heating capabilities.
If this has not resolved the error code, the problem is likely with the electronic control board. If your dryer won’t start but just beeps, this article explains what to do.
- Electrolux Dryer Keeps Pausing
- Electrolux Dryer Won’t Stop Spraying Water
- What Is Code E63 on Electrolux Dryer?
- E63 Electrolux Dryer – Fixed
The Electronic Control Board Is Faulty
As with any household appliance, your Electrolux dryer runs off signals from its electronic control board. The control board is an essential part because it manages the dryer’s cycle times and ensures that it heats up to the correct temperature.
Below are some telltale signs of a faulty control board:
- Your dryer continues to operate after the drying cycle is complete
- The dryer’s cycles are too short
- Your clothes aren’t drying properly (indicating that the temperature is too low)
- The dryer feels too hot
Here’s how to check if the control board is bad:
- Unplug your dryer from the wall and the power source to avoid shocking yourself.
- Remove the front panel with a screwdriver to access the control panel.
- Use your phone to take a quick photo of the wiring before you remove the control panel so you’ll know how to reattach it correctly.
- Remove the control board.
- Check the control panel for signs of damage caused by burning or any other breakdown of the component.
How to Fix
If you believe that the electronic control board is the cause of the E61 error code, you’ll need to replace the part. Take note of your dryer’s model name and number, and then order a new part.
Once you have the new part, here are the steps to follow to replace the old one:
- Unplug the dryer from its power source, and allow it to cool down if you’ve recently used it.
- Remove the front panel, and take out the faulty electronic control board.
- Replace it with the new part, and place the front panel back on.
Here’s a video guide explaining how to replace your dryer’s primary control board:
If you are not comfortable working with electrical wiring or fear you may do irreparable damage to your drier, it’s essential to call in an expert to perform the replacement. Trying and failing to replace parts on your dryer can lead to even more expensive repairs or even the need for a new dryer.
While error codes are irritating, they are actually an indication that your dryer is doing what it’s supposed to do. By telling you what might be wrong with the dryer, you can repair the problem or replace any parts before a minor issue snowballs into a bigger one.
If your Electrolux dryer shows an E61 error code, you should check or replace your wiring harness before testing the control board. If these measures don’t fix the problem, consider calling in a professional.