When it comes to doing DIY in your house, you want to make sure that you have the right equipment. That is where a handheld sprayer comes in handy, being both very lightweight to handle and easy to use.
Because very often if you’re looking to renovate an old piece of furniture or cover the wall with a new lick of paint, the first thing you’ll think about using is a paintbrush. However, we all know that this can result in streaks, running paint and an even surface.
However, with one of these handheld sprayers, you can easily avoid all that. These have a low-pressure pump action that will give you an even coating across a wide surface. They are easy to operate and can be cleaned very efficiently afterward.
With one of these sprayers, you can throw away your old paintbrush today! Get a smooth and luxurious coat of paint with a sprayer as soon as possible.
But where can you find the best handheld paint sprayers? What features do you need from a really good sprayer that will give you the best results? What materials should they be made from to avoid clogging and nozzle damage? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent paint sprayer?
Well, if you are taking your first stab at home decoration, then you won’t need to look any further. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best handheld paint sprayers currently available on the market.
We’ve also got a buyer’s guide and some frequently asked questions that will help you decide which is the best sprayer for your particular job.
List of Best Handheld Paint Sprayers
OUR TOP PICK
Our first model of handheld sprayer comes with a medium-sized container for the paint.
The reason for this is obviously anything heavier would be very difficult to wield, so you have to find the perfect balance between capacity and overall weight – introducing the Graco 17D889 Handheld Paint Sprayer.
The weight of this paint sprayer is around 4 pounds, so you can easily operate it for a lot longer, which will be important if you are covering a larger section of wall. This sprayer comes with adjustable settings, meaning you can increase the speed and the pressure.
Having these adjustable elements is very important for covering different surfaces and materials. With a higher pressure, you can be sure that spraying unthinned paint won’t be a problem. This sprayer will make sure that your flat surface like a wall or a table will have a fine finish.
- This paint comes in bags, which can be reused and recycled. This is great if you want to cut down on both wastage and cleaning time.
- This is a great little product to use, a lot of users have described it as being the most functional they have even bought.
- The adjustability – if you are having to crank up the speed and pressure to get more work done quickly, then this is the sprayer for you.
- This sprayer has plenty of stainless steel elements, all of which are very easy to clean and will overall increase longevity.
- This sprayer is one that the experts recommend should only be used for smaller paint jobs, which certainly won’t appeal to heavy-duty professional painters who want to cover a lot more surface.
This next spray painter is a high-volume low-pressure model (HVLP), which means you can cover a larger surface area much easier.
You can use this sprayer for a multitude of different tasks, whether it is renovating old cabinets or covering a dowdy old wall in your house, it is very versatile – introducing the HomeRight 2412331 Quick Finish Paint Sprayer.
This also has an adjustable element, allowing you to increase or decrease the paint flow. You can even control the pattern of your spray, having an option for horizontal, vertical or round shapes.
This can help you cover tight corners and other difficult spaces that you wouldn’t be able to cover with a paintbrush.
You can also use a lot of different types of paint in this sprayer, from latex to chalk paint. This will certainly appeal to those people who want versatility.
Professional painters that will be hired to tackle different surfaces with different types of paint will want to have a model that functions like this.
- This spray gun operates at a much lower pressure, but contains much more volume, allowing you to cover a lot more surface.
- The flexibility – you can use this spray can to deal with all sorts of tricky areas, allowing you to get into those corners that paintbrushes often can’t reach.
- This is one used by professional painters, a lot of whom have highly complemented this sprayer on its reliability and top-quality performance.
- You can fill this paint sprayer with different types of paint, whether it is latex or chalk, you can be certain that you’ll get a nice, even finish at the end.
- This is another paint sprayer that a lot of people recommend for small-scale projects. If you have to spray your car, for example, then we would recommend having a sprayer with a larger capacity.
When it comes to versatility, it’s going to be very hard to beat this one.
It comes with 5 different sizes of nozzle, along with 3 different spray types, so if you have several odd surfaces and textures to deal with, then this is the sprayer for you – introducing the Yattich Paint Sprayer.
You can also determine the type of paint thickness that you’re going to use, which will be very important for decorators who want that nice, thick coat.
You can easily wield this one, weighing only 3.6-pounds, you can be certain that it will give you everything that you want for a larger paint job.
This unit is also very resistant to dust and moisture that might accumulate and ultimately damage the functionality of your sprayer overall.
Having these features will extend the lifespan of your sprayer, so you can leave it in the shed for a few weeks without use and not have to worry about it breaking.
- This gun comes with a variety of settings and nozzles, all of which are perfect for touching up a wide variety of surfaces – from cars to fences to bedroom walls.
- The simple trigger operation is very light, so you won’t find yourself damaging your finger or experiencing cramping after protracted use.
- This also has detachable components that you can easily use to clean and maintain this sprayer.
- The materials of this spray gun will prevent clogging and allow you to spray paint at a much higher pressure. This will result in your spraying area being a lot more concentrated and give you that uniform texture at the end.
- If you are working on a larger painting project, then you can expect to have numerous trips to the paint pot to refill your hopper.
This is another HVLP sprayer, giving you the ability to expel a much larger volume of paint at a much lower compression rate. This is perfect if you are craving that smooth finish for your bedroom wall.
This sprayer has a stationary body, but your main point of contact will be a handy spray gun – introducing the Wagner Spraytech 0518080 Paint or Stain Sprayer.
The gun that you hold in your hand is very lightweight, with a lengthy hose that will allow you the freedom to move around whatever canvas you’re working on.
The plus point of using one of these sprayers is the capacity of paint that can be contained in the stationery portion of the unit – you won’t have to refill this one during larger jobs!
You can also adjust this one for different streams and thicknesses of paint. It will give you the perfect flow and can withstand the ejection of much thicker paints.
When you are using a unit like this to renovate various types of furniture or mechanical parts, having a sprayer that can handle different paints will be crucial.
- This has a very powerful motor that can spray out unthinned paint with ease. This is simply a great project that you can use with metal and wooden surfaces.
- All you have to carry with the weight of the spray gun – the weight of the paint itself is housed elsewhere – think of this as more of a vacuum cleaner than a traditional handheld spray painter.
- You can set the spray trajectory to many different styles. If you are struggling to reach behind the banister, simply cover it with paper and give it a quick blast through the gaps with this unit.
- The hose on this unit is around 20 feet in length, so it quite frankly perfect for anyone with mobility problems who still wants that industrial level of paintwork.
- This paint sprayer is reserved only for professionals, it will take a while for a beginner to become accustomed to it.
Finally, we have saved the most powerful monster unit for the very end – this is one for painting experts who want that little extra capacity and paint pressure for dealing with large-scale jobs.
Again, this is another semi-stationery model, so you won’t have to flex your arm a great deal when aiming your spray gun – introducing the Wagner 0529021 Stationary Paint Sprayer.
Whereas the other sprayers on our list were more adapted for smaller style projects, this one is for those who want to cover their car in a new coat of paint and not leave any corner untouched.
It has adjustable pressure rates so you can cover different materials like metal and wood in an even coat of paint.
You can use this model for detailing too, it is probably the most versatile paint sprayer on this list. You can adjust the dial so that you can spray horizontally, vertically or in a round style.
This makes it perfect if you have a particularly awkward piece of furniture with plenty of strange angles and hard-to-reach areas.
- This is a very portable model, just leave the motor in the main unit running and use the hose to angle your paint whatever way you need to.
- There are 2 nozzles with this sprayer – you can use the wider version for larger surfaces, as well as a smaller nozzle that will be perfect for detailing.
- The various pattering is perfect for getting in those hard-to-reach places – you’ll know about this if you’ve ever tried to use a paintbrush!
- With the X-boost function, you can spray out your paint at much higher pressure. This will give you a much more even coat and allow you to perform jobs a lot faster.
- This machine is quite large and will take a lot longer to set up than your traditional handheld model.
Best Handheld Paint Sprayer Buying Guide
When it comes to finding the best handheld paint sprayer, there will be numerous things that you’ll need to consider, most of them will be dependant on the paint job that you’ll be looking to tackle.
Basically, there are 3 types of sprayer – standard, HVLP and airless. Each of these will function differently and give you completely different results, depending on which surface you’re spraying on.
Here is a brief overview of each sprayer so you can know which one will be best for your style of painting:
The Standard Sprayer
These are usually the most inexpensive models that you can buy, so they are perfect for entry-level DIY enthusiasts.
You can a new unit for very cheap, however, there is a catch – you will have to pick up a compressor for it to operate properly.
If you already have a compressor in your garage, then you just have to buy a standard sprayer and save yourself some bucks.
The HVLP Sprayer
This one stands for High volume Low Pressure and will give you a lot more paint over a larger area. This is a favorite model of professional painters who want to leave a job well done and guarantee themselves repeated custom. It is perfect for decorating bar bedroom walls.
With an HVLP, you won’t have the streaks that you normally get from using rollers or paintbrushes. This will give you a very even coat, which is great if you are a stickler for perfection.
These sprayers also have a smaller motor, meaning that you won’t be draining so much power and can use a lot more paint. However, these guzzle through paint very quickly, so make sure that you have some spare paint to hand so you can refill.
These sprayers come with their own built-in compressor and motor, meaning that all you have to do is fill and start spraying. This will be a lot easier to use for beginner painters and decorators.
As the title might suggest, these sprayers do not use air to push through the paint.
So there are the 3 types of paint sprayer covered, as well as what they can offer you. But what other things should you consider before buying a new paint sprayer?
How Much Does It Weigh?
This will be one of the most crucial aspects, as you’ll be wieldingyour sprayer with the power of your hand alone, possible for hours at a time. A lighter sprayer will cut down on fatigue and allow you to work for longer.
A lot of the sprayers listed above have easy-to-pull triggers to save you wear and tear on your finger and well as RSI in your hand and wrist.
Paint Cup Or Paint Hose?
A paint cup is housed in the sprayer itself and will give you more freedom to move around whatever object that you happen to be spraying.
However, being filled with paint, these handheld units are often a lot heavier than some of the other versions.
What Accessories Should You Have With A Paint Sprayer?
You don’t 100% have to have any accessories with your sprayer, however, we would certainly recommend them as they will promote good functionality and safety:
- Personal Protective Equipment – things like goggles and gloves can prevent toxic paint from getting in your eyes, as well as accidental ingestion of paint from your hands.
- Sprayer Tips – These are usually great if you are switching between thinned and unthinned paint. If you have the wrong tip for the wrong type of paint, then expect clogging.